Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 20 April 2020

Training in Lockdown - COVID-19 Impact

I am thinking that we are kind of living in a period when the COVID-19/Corona Virus (whatever you want to call it) is defining a significant point in history. I am looking at this from a sporting perspective. Don’t get me wrong; people are dying from this illness and the importance of human life far outweighs sporting events. But this Blog is about a sporting journey and the endeavours to perform to the best of what genetics has dealt little old me. So whilst appreciating the need to lockdown, how has training and racing been impacted? Well racing has been cancelled across the Globe. So I am basically clinging on to the London Duathlon in September as my main goal. It hasn’t been cancelled yet but no guarantee that this event will go ahead. I have been ‘racing’ the NTC virtual 10 mile TT league on Zwift. It’s a different course each week and I am doing ok so far. Getting slightly faster each week (course dependent) and last week Zwift detected an increase in my FTP from 255W to 257W. Bit a massive increase but any progress at my age is good! I also need to remember that the Zwift power reads about 10W lower than my Garmin power. So my Garmin power FTP estimated at 267W is much better than my FTP over the last few years, around 245W. I raced 70.3 aiming for 240W average back in 2015 so I’m kind of ok with where my cycling is right now. The Zwift TT certainly gives me the race vibe and I am utterly drained after a full on effort. As for running, no race simulation available. So I am trying to build some low level volume and throw in the odd effort session. Last Sunday I ran off the bike with the standard reducing time with corresponding increased pace and 2 min RI between intervals. I was running well. Perhaps over-cooked it on the 6 min effort hovering around 4:00 per k pace. This should have been around 4:15 - 4:20 pace. Bike training is centred around a Zwift workout schedule 12 Week FTP builder. It’s enjoyable so far and the sessions are very specific when completed in Erg mode. Onwards and upwards.

No comments: