Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Thursday 25 August 2016

Back to Racing - Just Too Well!

Last Friday I returned to racing at the Riyadh Triathletes Duathlon at Ranco Farm. The distance was 6.7k/24k/3.3k. After a break in the race series I was really looking forward to this race. Training had been consistent, if affected somewhat by niggling injuries - Achilles, hip, toe! I managed to finish second overall, with Gareth Gallagher taking the win by a big margin. He hammered the first run, maintaining 3:30 per k pace. Whilst I think in my old head that I should still be able to run at that pace, I clearly cannot! I maintained an even pace of 3:49 per k, quickly realizing that I could not match Gareth's pace. Once on the bike, I tried to close the gap on the hilly and technical course; however, Gareth simply rode away from us all. I didn't feel great on the bike and I am wondering if I should train differently. The second run was not far but it was getting seriously hot by then and I slipped outside 4:00 per k pace. This didn't please me at all as I had been consistent with my bike/run training. Oh well, keep the focus on enjoying the fact that I can still race. The Outlaw came and went in the UK and it was a fast day in Nottingham. Pete Norris and Matt Stephenson grabbed great times, with Matt bagging the age group record. I am starting to think that my chances of a sub-10 hour Ironman are all but gone. Training here in Saudi does not seem to bring the best out of me! I was back in the UK for a course a few weeks ago and visited the Congleton Park Run. I pushed hard for an 18:19 time, finishing 6th. Again, I really think I should be faster. Time to rethink what I want to achieve I think! some pics from the Du

No comments: