Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 22 July 2016

Re-grouping

After finishing my last race I decided to re-group and complete a mini-build training period in preparation for the second half of the Riyadh Triathletes race series. So far so good. I am certainly running more than I have been all year. The knee is holding out - still painful but having almost full mobility is a big bonus. Additionally, I am able to complete conditioning work in the gym. I am convinced that when I undertake strength work - core, squats, cleans, nordic lowers etc - my running becomes more fluid and I am lighter on my feet. The problem I have right now is being able to run outside. The heat is up to 48 degrees and the only time that it drops to around 30 degrees is 0500. Whilst I do run at this time, the legs are just too sleepy for any intense work. Biking is either at 0500 or banished to the turbo in the kitchen - immensely grateful to Julie who does not mind the turbo permanently located in the kitchen!
I should be just thankful that I can run! The achilles' are aching a bit lately' So I will keep an eye on this and increase the prehab! My swimming is not going so well. A niggling shoulder problem is preventing any full blown swim schedule. This is a real shame as I enjoy swimming and I was making decent progress - well, when I say progress, I mean not getting slower! Yesterday's session, as an example of the re-group work, was 40 mins turbo as 40 sec 120% FTP/20 sec easy. Then 2k tempo treadmil run (6:30 per mile pace). Then strength circuit. Then 20 min turbo 40/20 efforts again. Then 10 x 400m treadmill efforts at 5:30 per mile pace. Then strength circuit. Warm down turbo. A tough session but I think this type of work is essential for the more mature triathlete! Next race is mid-August, which will be a duathlon. If the running and bike work progresses as it is at the moment I will be ready 8-)

No comments: