Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 11 June 2016

Riyadh Triathletes Standard Distance Race - 3 June 16

Whilst I have been racing the Riyadh Triathletes events since April, I now think I should take the season more seriously and try and add some structure to my training for the second half of the race series. Here in KSA it is normal to take a break during Ramadan and also July. Hence the next race is not until 31 July 16. The Standard Distance race on 3 June was somewhat of an uncomfortable venture. I was not long back from the UK after a week of being busy sorting stuff for my daughters. Add to that a number of delays with our return flight and training had been virtually non-existent. But I was eager to keep the racing going and maintain my attempt to do well overall with the 2016 series. The swim was lovely. The pool is outdoors and in a very nice setting. I chugged along to finish with a 24:51 clocking. I was happy enough but I reckon I am good for at least a minute quicker if I get my finger out and train harder in the pool. I ended up towing one of my rivals along for about 20 lengths, only breaking the elastic after putting in a burst for 50m The bike was basically ride for 5 miles to the 'humps' and then complete 15 miles up and down before returning 5 miles to the compound. The 5 mile segment is bumpy and in the Saudi public domain. I am never content with this and end up bimbling along. I managed the fastest bike split but never felt strong - lack of training showing. By the time the run began I knew I had a lead, but not as much of a gap to second as in previous races. I ran cautiously, not wanting to over-cook the pace in the heat. My pace was slow but I thought I could pick it up if I was caught. As it was nobody did catch me. However, I question whether I could have upped the pace if I had needed to! So it is now a mini-build period. This is aided by the fact that I have now had my knee drained! Also, some steroid injected. What an improvement this has had on mobility and pain relief! I am a new man! I have commenced conditioning training again and feel much better doing so. The long-term issue is that I have psoriatic arthritis. Hence I may feel the symptoms of fatigue and the return of joint swelling and pain. I am just seeing how things work out and hopefully this mini-build period will see my returning to the form I showed last year. The knee drain is a procedure that I can have repeated if needed. It was not that painful and worth every ounce of pain anyway!
Best of luck to all my UK buddies racing during June, July and August. So many IM events to watch and follow! The Outlaw should be a belter as Ironmat will be racing - I am a big fan 8-). My next race is 31 July. I aim to smash it. . . . .

No comments: