Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 22 May 2016

Lost Blogger! Sorry!

I cannot believe how fast time has gone during 2016! I had wanted to maintain this Blog with regular monthly posts! At this rate the posts will be regular but every 6 months! Maybe I can recover the situation and post every 2 weeks for the rest of the year! Rewind to the end of 2015; IM 70.3 Bahrain completed. A short break over Christmas with a visit to the UK and the intention was to race the Riyadh Triathletes event series during 2016. This comprises 16 races of various formats – Swim/run, Duathlon, Triathlon – and distances up to Standard Distance. It was my intention to race some of the Riyadh Road Runners events as build up to the Tri season. Add to that a couple TTs with Riyadh Wheelers and race season prep should be good. . . . . Plans never seem to go as planned! The word plan should be replaced by the unknown word of ‘letseewhathappens’. I have mentioned the issue I have with my knee (potential Rheumatoid Arthritis – not good). Well this problem remains. It has almost been a year since the onset and I am finally seeing a consultant about the pain on 25 May 16. So for a year I have been taking the man-up pills and training as best I can. The main impact is that I have been unable to complete the conditioning training that I normally undertake. I am not sure if the actual illness/injury is impacting my training/performance; or whether the lack of conditioning training has negatively impacted me. The upshot is that I am not performing to expectation – yes, I am slower. Could it be age getting to me? I don’t think so as the decline has been very sudden and only since this knee issue. Somehow, I am just not ‘firing’ properly. Running is slower and more difficult to undertake (can’t remember when I last had a run that felt strong and fluid). My biking is slower also. Anyway, in case anyone is still reading, let’s not make this post all about complaining! In January I completed a couple of Riyadh Wheelers 25 mile TTs. I was a shade over the hour in each race with 1:00:22 and 1:00:28. These are the slowest times I have ridden for years. I suppose the country and environment make a difference. . . . . . Coughexcuses. . . . .! I only managed to enter a single running race; a 10k at Al Bustan. This was the same race I entered the previous year having recently arrived. I cantered round uncontested at that race in 36:58 feeling strong. This year I struggled round in 39:12 feeling terrible! The first Riyadh Triathletes event was a Biathlon (Swim/Run). I ran ok but not great. Swimming has been ok but Luca from Italy has always been a real fish in the water. His swim was far too fast for me to catch him on the run – plus had had improved his run massively. This was the pattern in the next race also and I had to settle for second in both races. So far I have completed 2 more races – both full triathlon events. The first was a short race over 800/16/8 and the second a bit longer over 1200/48/8. A win at both these races was nice but Kris Ahlin was missing from both events. This Swede is a bit of a bike monster! Our runs are similar and my swim is better. Hence a showdown is required to see hoe a full triathlon balances out between us! This should be fun! Recently I was lucky enough to obtain a new training bike. I have long been a fan of single speed bikes. They are relatively inexpensive. Easy to maintain and offer great training value. The terrain here suits a single speed too. So I updated my Specialized Langster and now have a nice blue 2016 version. I selected a frame size smaller than my previous Langster in order to get lower at the front end. I placed some Deda Parabolic tri bars on and the position is spot on to replicate my TT bike. The bike is the fixed version and I am really enjoying the different riding dimension that a single speed provides. So, onwards and upwards for the second half of 2016. Lord willing, I can get my knee sorted and commence conditioning training again – I need to do this at my age! I must mention my good friend Mal Rose. This gifted triathlete was wiped out by a car in Jan 16 and is now confined to a wheel chair and undergoing rehab. His positive attitude and outlook on life is nothing short of amazing. I know that I would not cope anywhere near as well as he has with something like that. I am quite upset over the whole episode to be honest. We only actually meet up at races and some fb banter but I have huge respect for what Mal achieved – European Duathlon medallist, no less! I will watch his sporting progress eagerly as I am sure that we have not seen that last of his sporting endeavours. Remember Mal, coffee and Jaffa Cakes will make everything ok!! Pics to fiollow

1 comment:

Mat Stephenson said...

Hey matey, accept you're getting old...or not!
Form will come, I keep telling myself the same.