Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Ironman Approaches

IM approaches. Race day is Sat 27 August. The leg is really no better and finishing will be the main aim. However, I really do not fancy a 26.2 mile walk and hope it does not come to that. I note that we cannot collect our bikes until 1730 so even if I have to ditch all hope of racing for a time, I may as well finish! The weather forecast is pants and this is not encouraging either! I don’t sound too positive do I! This is not how I intended my first (and possibly my last. . .) IM to be.

Swimming is going well and I am hoping to exit around 1:05 for the swim. The bike will all be about the conditions and nutrition by the looks of it. If the wind drops, it could be fast but it will be a long ride if the gales blow. The plan is to try and do each of the 3 60k laps in 1:45. In the 2008 World Long Course Champs I did 2 laps in 1:36 and 1:38. However, the conditions were good, if I remember correctly. If I can lap in 1:45 then that will bring a 5:15 split. All good in theory! Reality will, most likely, be very different!

On to the run and it really is an unknown. I have not ran for 3 weeks and I have no idea if the leg will just hurt and not get worse. Or if it will become dangerous and potential long term damage becomes the prime concern – I hope not!

I also note that there are 2 Dutch guys in my Age Group who did 9:43 and 9:44 last year. That is swift. They seemed to achieve these times off fast bike splits. At the back of my mind I am tempted to push the bike hard!!! Well if I am going to hobble regardless, why not!!