Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 3 May 2010

Training Schedules and Training Log Books

The title of this post describes 2 important aspects of triathlon training - right? So why don't I have either?!! True, I have a very loose schedule in that I do the club evening TTs on Wednesdays and try and do a longer run and bike once a week, but that's it really. So is this good or bad? I am not sure! It can be good to be flexible! All my house moving stuff has made it impossible to have schedule. But I suppose I should keep a log, if only to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

Some recent sessions:

Bike commute to work 20 miles. Swim at lunch. Bike commute home 20 miles

Brick session as 35 miles road on the TT bike as 25 min warm up then continuous alternating 2 min hard, 3 mins tempo. Run 6 miles with the first 5 at sub 7 min miling.

Brick session as Club 10 mile TT followed by 6 - 8 1 min run efforts on the grass.

Brick session as 20 miles road on the TT bike hard, 5 miles sub 7 min miling run, 20 miles road on the TT bike faster than the first 20 mile effort!

I have done plenty of commutes to work on the bike and tried to keep the effort when riding steady. i mostly use my single speed and this helps to keep me spinning. In the pool, a recent 6:00 400m swim using my wetronome was very nice to complete. I use the wetronome a lot and am trying to push my threshold pace at my perceived best strokes per minute (58 SPM) for longer distances. I may attempt a 1k swim TT this week. Now if I maintained the 6:00 min 400m pace I would be on for a 15 min time! Err, maybe a bit too much of a stretch for me!!

Just edited this post as I had stated 58 strokes per length!! I meant per minute! Wow! 58 strokes per length would be some going!!

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

I can understand not having a fixed programme, because we have a number of other commitments in our lives outside of sport and these can play havoc with a rigid programme and we need to retain an element of flexibility. I do, though, believe that keeping a training log is absolutely essential to enable you to analyse what went well (ie what did you do leading up to a really good race?), what didn't go well (ie what led to an injury?), and what you did to improve (or not) in each discipline. The problem with not have a diary/log is that you tend to look back with rose tinted spectacles on.

Cavegirl said...

Agreed!

Having a feel for what you want to do in the next few sessions is good but schedules are a nightmare with a life outside too. PB has been great for taking away the guilt side of not following/having a schedule.

A diary, or log, or even just keeping it all on a blog is essential though for all of Turbos points above PLUS seeing the load you are applying - that list is all high octane stuff - not sustainable and leads to overtraining!

K