Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Thursday 14 January 2010

Ramping it Up

Training has ramped up a level now. I have started to try and build some power on the bike. After 3 months of aerobic cycling, and a period of strength work, I decided I needed to shock the body a bit. The turbo session below did just that. I worked on speed, rather than power, as I know that aerobically, I am around 21.5mph. A good session and my legs knew they had been worked. The shorter intervals should get me to feel how that speed feels like again. In the coming months, as I complete longer intervals at this speed/effort, the real pain-fest will commence!

20 Min progressive warm up
5 min as 30 sec work to 27mph, 30 sec spin.
5 min RI at 18mph
5 min as 15 sec to 27mph, 15 sec spin.
5 min RI at 18mph
5 min as 1 min to 27mph, 30 sec spin.
Straight into 7:30 4% hill simulation out of saddle.
Cool down
1 hour 5 mins

The weather has prevented any road riding; hence I have still not completed any long rides. Some reverse periodisation should sort that! Here is a pic to remind us that the sun does shine in the UK and there may yet be a time when we can ride our bikes outside - with shorts on too!!

I still have some niggles but I am now building my running up with some slow and steady running. OK, every now and then I get carried away and stick in a faster run, but the long term aim is to build some run miles.

Swimming is going well (for me) and I have some fresh focuses to work on, thanks to some very good advice from an extremely knowledgeable helper – maybe more on that later!

5 comments:

Turbo Man said...

I'm curious - why 27mph? Am I right in thinking that was roughly your 25 mile speed last year? For such short intervals surely you can go faster? You mention increasing the interval length later in the year but if you want to increase your speed over last year then surely your intervals MUST be faster?

Sags said...

It was my 25 mile speed on road last year but not comparible to turbo speed. 27mph is above my best threshold turbo speed.

Mark "Frank" Whittle said...

You tell him Sags! ;-)

Sags said...

Did I sound blunt? Didn't mean to 8-)

Sags said...

Did I sound blunt? Didn't mean to 8-)