Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Friday 12 September 2008

Swimming Master Plan

The swimming master plan started yesterday at Swim Shack. This is an Endless pool set up that has camera analysis, above and below the water. Ian, the coach, provides expert advise and has already started to transform me from struggling swimmer to streamlined torpedo!

I have a 10 hour course to complete and the first 2 hour session was all about starting from scratch. After seeing myself under water, I am amazed that I have managed to swim as fast as I have! Now this is not the first time that I have undergone this type of endless pool analysis. However, it will be the first time that I will have completed a consistent course of instruction over a number of months. I am convinced that continuity is key to making improvements. Previously, I had some analysis and returned some 6 months later for another session. By that time, any changes to technique had disappeared having not had the attention needed over a prolonged period.

Yesterday the focus was on body balance, leg kick and breathing. Now, I had convinced myself that I would never be able to kick. I had spent 4 years fruitlessly bobbing up and down in the water frantically trying to move forward whilst kicking but getting nowhere! This guy spent ages in the water physically placing my legs where they should be. Hey presto, I can kick! Today I was doing vertical kicking drills with my arms accross my chest. Previous attempts at this drill saw my making great friends with the tiles on the floor of the deep end of the pool. Breathing was all about CO2 trickle and emptying the lungs - something I was not doing.

I have my second session next week and I feel as though sorting the basics out will build a good foundation to gain speed come 2009. I will have a DVD catalogue of progress too, which should make interesting viewing at a training weekend........possibly great for a laugh!

Whilst the race season is over for me, Turbo man, Reg and Kelda will be competing in the Half Ireman.... that's in Ireland over half ironman distance. Now Reg will be hot to dip under 5 hours but not sure if the course is fast. He will, however, be out to beat Turbo Man, who will be slightly jaded after his 4:56 at The Vitruvian last week. Kelda may well fly round and beat them both if she has recovered from her 6th place performance at the World Long Course Champs - race well guys and, above all, enjoy the effort!

1 comment:

Iron Girl said...

Swimming is the sport of the gods I've decided. I've got a long winter of technique sessions ahead of me and will read your swimming updates with interest.