Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 14 September 2008

Bike Position

Now that the season has finished for me, I have been thinking of ways to gain speed for 2009. I have a plan for my swimming and biking. My running is taking a back seat this winter in the hope that I don't get slower! One aspect that I have not really given much attention over the years is my bike position. I just sort of go with what feels good.
Take a look at these 2 pics taken during the World Long Course Champs; one of Daz 'fast man' Sharpe (in the GB kit - not the black kit!) and the other of me:




Who looks more aero? I would say Daz. Now I know that there is a balance to be struck between getting aero and maintaining power, and getting too aero so that power actually reduces due to the position but I need to experiment! Hence I have adjusted my position to reduce my frontal area. This has meant getting lower and narrower! I have managed to hack my Profile Carbon X bars so the elbow pads are over an inch lower. This has been don without lowering the bars, in the hope that the feel of the bike handling remains the same.
Take a look at the pic below of the normal Carbon X bars that shows quite a drop under the elbow pads and a wide distance between elbow pads:



Here is a pic of my modified bars:


I have all winter to get used to it......





4 comments:

Daz Sharpe said...

looking at the pics sags, one thing of note is how much further foward to the front of the bike you seem, although what effect it has either positive or negative I don't know? I will be interested to see my position I have when I get my "full on TT" bike for next season. I too am looking at areas of potential gain for next season. As Turbo pointed out in the photo of me it just shows that you can have all the gear but be set up really badly as demonstrated by the person wearing black.

Turbo Man said...

You have quite broad shoulders - can you still breathe with your elbows that close together? If you can't breathe properly there will be no "getting used to it"; it just won't happen. I dont't see the point of very narrow elbows; once they are inside the body's "silhouette" there are no further gains to be had - I advocate wrists, elbows, knees and hips in a line; take a look at the track cyclists, hardly any have the elbows/wrists close together.

That said, now is the time to experiment.

Sags said...

Yes I do get forward on the saddle and I want to maintain that. What Mick says is right but my arms are taking a huge buffeting and are outside hips and knees by a big margin. Not sure if I can breath with the narrow set up but I can try. Hutch and Leipheimer have very narrow pads. I suppose different things work for different people. Keep you posted on progress......or not!

Turbo Man said...

Hutch has MASSIVE lung capacity and can probably afford to lose a bit. Us mortals can not!

Time to sit in front of the mirror my friend, with allen keys and spanners at the ready and adjust it till it looks good, then go ride and see how it feels.