Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 April 2021

Wahoo Smart Trainer Number 3

 So I mentioned that my Tacx Neo Smart trainer had a bit of a meltdown. It just gave up - was I pushing too much power?!  Unlikely! It ended up going back to Garmin for a warranty repair. I am sure that my Neo was part of a faulty batch but hey ho; not much I could do but follow the process and return it. But the thought of being without a trainer was very unsettling! This may sound strange but the mental outlet that Zwifting provides is just as important to me as the physical aspects. Add to this the fact that the Neo is a top of range trainer and it broke after only 8 months use.

What am I trying to say here? Well, I decided to try a different make of smart trainer. When the Neo comes back I can decide which one I want to keep; or just have a spare trainer. So I went all out and got a Wahoo Kickr with climb simulator. That's not me in the first pic!





AS you can see, I had to use my Evo2Max bike to include the climb part of the set up; the forks in my Boardman are just too narrow. The bike is too old (2012) and the climb is made for modern bikes with more clearance. 

I have to say, the Wahoo is the best trainer I have used. The Elite Direto just never hit the spot for me and the belt just gave up. The Neo is good; I like it. But all the electronics kind of make it seem over complicated. I can get my TT bike in the Wahoo too - the Neo was a very tight fit that was uncomfortably risky to squeeze the TT bike on.

The climb simulator is very realistic and the feel when the rotes go up or down is excellent. Plus the muscles used for climbing in real life are utilised. Very happy with the Wahoo set up. I now have the Neo back and will lend it to a buddy who needs to try out a smart trainer. Not  sure I will sell it. . . . .

   

No comments: