Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 30 January 2021

COVID Lockdown - Goals. . . . What Goals? 8-(

 Well, as Jan 21 comes and goes the UK COVID lockdown continues. So my take is that sporting events will probably dry up for the year again. My target is. . . .was. . . . The London Duathlon scheduled for 25 Apr 21. Training has been going well but with less than 3 months to go, I doubt the event will happen. As with many people, planning the racing for 2021, I must assume there will be no IRL racing. So where will the racing fix come from? It seems that Zwift will continue to fill the cycling racing void. As for running, I am thinking that I must plan for some Time Trials - maybe a 5k TT focus. More to come on this topic.

Previous Blog posts have detailed the Zwift racing I have done with Frank Whittles WhittleFit Zwift team that participates in the Zwift WGT Race League. I had a good result a few weeks ago in a drafting Innsbruck race that incorporated 2 big climbs. Courses with long climbs suit me; hence, I targeted the next mountainous race - which was today! I have been getting some decent training in with long-time buddy Jase Walkley, focusing on training hard when recovered (guided by my Whoop). Jase was riding today too; the course was the classic Tour of Fire and Ice, starting at the base of the volcano and leading up to the Alp Du Zwift. Then a pain-fest up the Alp to finish. To spice things up further, the race was non-drafting. So, basically, a mountain TT.

We grabbed a decent warm up by riding Stage 6 of the Tour De Zwift, which was about an hour ride at various effort levels. The Race was next. My plan was to start steady, maintaining around 3.8 W/Kg. I felt ok as we headed towards the Jungle but I was way back around 170th position. I figured that I must hold back until the Alp climb started. AS the start of the Alp approached, I found myself alongside both Jase and Frank, So I figured I was in good company as these guys are strong riders. It was time to employ my climbing strategy - 1 min out the saddle, 30 sec seated. I pretty much maintained this sequence for the entire climb. I was controlled but on the edge of blowing - just where I needed to be. I still managed to up the power towards the end to finish strong and grab 3rd place in the B Cat according to Zwift Power. Zwift gifted me an updated FTP of 250W too.


   

The Zwift events have really filled a void for me, especially with some really icy weather lately. At the moment the Tour De Zwift is underway also. I have been fortunate to get my hands on the real life kit too!



Next series for me to focus on is the Feb 2021 Haute Route Challenge. More on thise event soon.

I am bringing in more focus to my running next also. Whooping fantastic. . . .

No comments: