Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 10 August 2014

9Bar Ed Clancy Ride

It was 3 weeks ago that I heard that I had won a competition to join the 9Bar Team with sponsored athlete Ed Clancy to ride in the hills around Llangollen. This was a lottery type proze and my name, along with a few others, had been drawn for this excursion. The prize also included a post-ride meal at the White Waters Hotel with Q&A from Ed. A great opportunity for sure; however, I was mindful that this hilly ride would be just 6 days after the Outlaw Ironman Triathlon. Whilst I was on a high after the Outlaw race, my legs were shot. A test ride on the Friday before the evnt confirmed that I would struggle big time. Well, I would just have to suck it up as i could not forego the opportunity of riding with an Olympic Champ. Additionally, I have been trying to get on the 9Bar race team. So this would be a good chance to meet the team. I had the opportunity to bring a buddy also; so I invited my Ironman guru buddy Mat Stephenson. The morning started with terrible weather. The rain lashed down, as the forecast predicted. I had prepared for a wet ride and was my normal nervous self on the shimmering roads. Some of the lanes were narrow and muddy also; this added to my nervousness. I started off steady as I had expected my legs to object to pedalling again! But miraculously, I felt ok. Once I realised that the legs were working I opened up a bit on the hills and really enjoyed the riding. The rain stopped soon after and the sun even shone at times. Half way through the ride we were descending a wide sweeping road and one of the riders over-cooked a bend, crashing badly to miss an oncoming car. It was an ambulance job and subsequently I discovered that she suffered a pneumothrax and broken shoulder - ouch! But the ride went on and we met up at the hotel for a really nice meal. 9Bar really did put on a great event at their expense. This company is passionate about their product and sport/health in general. So thank you for a great day out.

No comments: