Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 28 June 2014

Dambuster Triathlon English Standard Distance Champs

The Dambuster Triathlon has been the home of the RAF Triathlon Champs since 2005. S I have raced there many times, Invariably, the weather is terrible - wet, cold and miserable. But this year it was a fantastic sunny day, which is just how I like it. So overall I really enjoyed this race. There was a buzz due to the National Champs and the incorporation of the RAF Champs. There were a few of the fast RAF guys away competing at the ETU Champs - namely Luke Pollard and Paul Bucknall. With many of the established RAF fast guys out of action this year or leaving the RAF, the race was very open. With some decent swim sessions lately, I was hopeful of a good swim this year. But out of the water in around 26:45 was not good, though the consensus was that swim was slightly long. But that makes no difference if your competitors are still faster!! My feet took a battering during the beach start and also from the run through transition. I really hate this aspect of triathlon. Some people just glide over the stones with no impact on their progress. But I end up hoping around like I am on hot coals. Anyway, a reasonable transition and out onto the bike. I eased into this leg as I had completed little speed work due to my long distance training focus. I did not want to blow a gasket in the first mile. Through the first descent towards Oakham and I am passing people quickly. That would be the case for the entire race and nobody passed me. I felt strong but eased back on the climbs. I ended up with a 1:07:15 split, which is only 25 sec off my fastest on that course - the conditions helped. Onto the run, I had no idea where I was in my age group but I had a thought that I may be doing ok as there were not that many bikes in T2. As has been the plan all year I held back significantly on the run. This works great for long distance but with only 10k to run I accepted that I would be slow and probably lose places. But I felt great and gradually upped the pace as I reached 3 miles. Finishing with a 39:10 split, I was happy enough. As it turns out that bagged me 3rd in my age group and 1st RAF Vet (Mal was injured). So overall a most successful and enjoyable event that enabled some speedwork and allowed me to train normally the following week. I have wondered whether I could have won the age group with a more focussed race but I am keeping my eye on the goal for The Outlaw on 27 July.

No comments: