Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Saturday 14 November 2009

Stroke Rate

Been thinking a lot about stroke rate in the pool lately. Check out this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNkAMU8syI

It shows Jodie Swallow easily churning out lengths at 1:10 per 100m pace. She has a high stroke rate - the opposite to what most age groupers are urged to develop. We are always told to keep a long gliding stroke. Well, for me, I am going to experiment with a higher stroke rate. I often feel as though I have dead spots in my stroke; I sort of feel as though I am stuttering down the length sometimes.

Swim well folks.

2 comments:

Turbo Man said...

OK, I know I am totally the last person to offer swimming advice, but surely it would be better to address the dead spots in your stroke rather than try and pretend they aren't there by raising your stroke rate to compensate? Once your stroke is better then experiment with stroke rates, not before.

Sags said...

I know where you are coming from T Man. Maybe I should have been clearer. What I meant was to maintain the technique and rhythm but just eliminate the pause in my glide. This, in effect, should up my stroke rate but not the effort I put in when pulling through the water. Get me being all techno!