Today is 16 Oct 22. Time to review the purpose of this Blog - again! It is 2 years since the last review. 🤕 2022 was shaping up well and I was on track for a decent middle distance Duathlon race. Then COVID hit me! I tried to salvage the race season but never felt strong or healthy. Looking to 2023 now and focussing on being healthy and some sprint Duathlon racing mixed with some bike TT fun on the Canyon CF






Powered By Blogger

Sunday 16 August 2015

Short Biathlon - A Race!

The end of July saw my attending my first Riyadh Triathletes event. It was only a short swim, run race of 500m/4k. A 7:55 swim was ok for me. With the fastest swim a swift 6:15 I had no chance of catching the leader with such a short run. However, he was not a great runner and constant 3:45 kilometres saw me catch him after 2k for the overall win. Most enjoyable race! I have some photos and will post these shortly. Following this race I attended the next event last Friday at the funky named Ranco Farm, which is South of Riyadh in the Dirab region. This was my first race with a bike involved since the Outlaw Ironman in July 2014! Where has the time gone. I have no idea what shape I am in for cycling but I have been able to string together 3 weeks of decent power based sessions on the turbo. Using the vector Garmin pedals - did I report that I now have these? - I am now trying to scientifically train myself to decent bike form for the Challenge Half Bahrain Triathlon on 20 Nov 15. Anyway, I digress.
The Duathlon consisted of 6k run, 25k bike, 4k run. The bike course was technical and hilly comprising a 4 lap route. I felt ok on the first run and wound up the pace to finish in 22:29. This 2 minutes faster than the next guy; so I had quite a lead. I probably nailed the first bike lap too hard but I was just enjoying the race really. By the 4th lap I was in the groove and was sure that nobody was catching me - then it was time to dismount. The second run was that familiar yuk feeling and I felt like I was crawling. I had such a lead that I was never really pushed. I was surprised that I maintained 6:20 per mile pace really. Racing in Saudi is hard due to the heat. It gets so hot that you struggle to breath and it hits you like a slab of concrete when you get off the bike. Anyway, a most enjoyable race. The next race is a double Duathlon of 4k/10k/3k/10k/2k/10k/1k. Now that sounds like fun!

No comments: